Smoothies are a huge deal to me! It’s what made me bond with my husband. When I lived in LA, he used to visit me on a long weekend while we maintained our long distance relationship. I remembered we’d go to the Jamba Juice in Manhattan Beach and he would order the largest sized smoothie. And then he’d finish it in about 10 minutes. I was always amazed by how quickly he drank cold beverages and strangely, it was kind of sexy! It’s really what did it for me and so I married him!
But I also realized how expensive smoothies can be. His 32 oz size and my smaller 16 oz size would run us about $12 a trip. Yikes! And I also wanted to be in control with what types of ingredients I used in my smoothies. So when I saved enough money to get a Vitamix, I jumped right on it. Vitamix people! It’s one of the best investments you can make for your kitchen. Get it!
Today I come to you with a great spring/summer smoothie. Here’s what you need:
- Berries (I used strawberries and blueberries because they were in season and they’re also my favorites)
- Peach (I always find it really important to make smoothies with different fruits from different families. Adding a peach or an orange to an all berry shakes gives it that depth of flavor I look for)
- Milk (I recently found out I am allergic to dairy. I decided to experiment with raw milk and it has changed my life. Please do your own research about consuming raw dairy before following any of my recipes, but I love it! You can just use regular milk or any form of liquid you’d like here.)
- Honey (I used raw honey here that I got at the awesome Ballard market. This jar is going to last me a lifetime I tell ya!)
- Option: Chia Seeds or Flax Seeds (I often add chia seeds in my shakes for extra fiber. But today I opted out.)
Put all these yummy ingredients in your handy dandy Vitamix or blender with some ice and wah-lah! I’m pretty sure that’s not how you spell wah-lah but let’s just go with it!
Ahhh…imagine having this in your hand, on a sunny afternoon, laying in your backyard with a nice book. Now that’s what I call a great day!
Try it out and let me know what your favorite smoothie ingredients are so I can try them out as well!